The scattering of ashes into the open ocean is a timeless tradition that spans across many cultures around the world and is a ceremony that has existed for thousands of years. If your loved one longs to have their final resting place be in the open sea, then there is no better place than the beautiful and idyllic waters of Waikiki. The sheer beauty, peacefulness and serenity makes Waikiki one of the most popular places to scatter a loved one’s ashes.
At Waikiki Beach Services, we provide a very unique and private funeral service that includes an ocean ceremony for you and your party aboard our outrigger canoe. With the guidance and assistance of our captain and second-captain, we will paddle you out into the calm waters off of Waikiki’s shores. It is there, in the shadow of Diamond Head, that you will be able to scatter your loved one’s ashes into the sea. Flowers and/or leis may also be placed into the ocean with your loved one’s ashes if you choose to bring them with you
In keeping with tradition, after the ash scattering, our captain will ride a wave into the beach honoring the deceased with the ‘last wave’ and to celebrate the beauty of life.
Burial At Sea Options:
- $300+ HI-State tax
- Charters available from 9 a.m. – 330 p.m. daily (note: these times are subject to change throughout the year due varying weather and/or surfing conditions)
- There is a limit of 5 passengers per canoe. For parties of more than 5, additional outrigger canoes must be chartered.
- For large parties, catamaran charters are available as well (up to 27 pax)
- Photography provided
- Flowers and lei are not provided, but you are more than welcome to bring them along with you.
- Guests may get wet while getting in or out of the canoe.
- Please wear comfortable clothing that you do not mind getting wet.
- Do not bring valuables aboard the canoe.
- Parking is available at The Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center for a small fee and is about a 10 minute walk to our location.
Cancellation Policy: A full refund will be given to any cancellations made up to 48 hours prior to your reservation date. Failure to contact us at least 48 hours prior to your reservation date will void your eligibility for a refund. Refunds will be honored if cancellation must be made due to inclement weather.