A Burial at Sea – the scattering of ashes into the open ocean – is a timeless tradition that spans across many cultures around the world. This type of funeral ceremony has existed for thousands of years. It is also a cultural tradition of the ancient Hawaiians. If your loved one longs to have their final resting place be in the open sea, then there is no better place than the waters off the shores of Waikiki. It is because of its sheer beauty, peacefulness, and serenity that Waikiki is one of the most popular places to scatter your loved one’s ashes. Countless people travel to Waikiki each year from all over the world to lay their loved ones to rest here.
At Waikiki Beach Services, we provide a very unique and private funeral service that includes a 1/2 hour ceremony for you and your party aboard our outrigger canoe. With the guidance and assistance of our captain and second-captain, we will paddle you out into the calm waters off of Waikiki’s shores. It is there, in the shadow of Diamond Head, that you will be able to scatter your loved one’s ashes into the sea. Flowers and/or leis may also be placed into the ocean with your loved one’s ashes if you choose to bring them with you.
With our funeral service, you can rest assured that your loved ones will finally be at peace.
Burial At Sea Options:
- 1/2hr Private Outrigger Canoe Charter: $325
Burial At Sea Times:
- Available daily from 9 a.m. – 330 p.m.
- These times are subject to change throughout the year due varying weather and/or surfing conditions.
- There is a limit of 5 passengers per canoe.
- For parties of more than 5, additional outrigger canoes must be chartered.
- Flowers and Leis are not provided, but you are more than welcome to bring them along with you.
- The photos for your funeral service are included within the price.
Burial At Sea Cancellation Policy: A full refund will be given to any cancellations made up to 72 hours prior to your reservation date. Failure to contact us at least 72 hours prior to your reservation date will void your eligibility for a refund.